Baked sweet potato wedges are crispy on the outside and tender on the inside. These are seasoned with a smoky spicy blend that will have everybody coming back for more! Great thing about this recipe is you can adjust the seasoning to your desire. You want to add minced garlic, go ahead! You want these bad boys spicier, go for it!
Potato wedges are great for any time of day and go with any dish! I always try to make extra so I have some for leftover the next day, however, I don’t always get my wish because these disappear so fast!
How do you get baked sweet potato wedges to come out crispy?
These potato wedges are mixed with spices and my secret to the crispiness…cornstarch. They come out perfectly crispy every time. If you are lucky enough to have leftovers, you can even re-heat them in the oven to retain maximum crispiness.
What kind of potatoes can I use for this recipe?
You can use any potato you’d like for this recipe. The only change you should make is if you are using baby potatoes. These will cook faster so I would reduce the bake time by 5 minutes and check to see if they are done. Often I use golden sweet potatoes, these guys are more pale yellow than the sweet potato/yams you may normally find. Occasionally I use good ol russet potatoes, I always seem to have these on hand.
- Cut the potato wedges roughly the same size so they cook evenly. Personally I do not peel the potatoes because I love the skin, but you absolutely can peel them, cook time would remain the same.
- I recommend baking these on a baking/cooling rack, it eliminates the need to flip half way through. You can also use parchment paper or foil, I would come out just fine.
- Try to place them so they are skin side down (or where the skin would be if they are peeled) this makes for even baking.
- Do not overcrowd the wedges–give them their space! This will make sure they get good and crispy.
- Prep Work: there really is not a lot to prep for this recipe. I just make sure I get the over pre-heated, get my spices out, cut up the potatoes and mix!
Crispy, smoky, spicy Sweet Potato Wedges!!! You really can’t go wrong serving these with any meal! Did I mention quick and easy?!
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (or any variety of potato you prefer)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1.5 TBSP chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 tsp cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
Pre-heat oven to 400 F
Cut potatoes into wedges. Start by cutting potato in half, then make 3 wedges out of each half.
Pre-mix all this spices + cornstarch in a small bowl.
In a large bow, mix potatoes, olive oil and the spices. You can use a rubber spatula or get in there and get your hands dirty!
Place on cookie sheet, lined with parchment paper, foil or baking rack.
Bake for 25 minutes and check to see if they are done. I take the largest piece and pierce it with a fork to check if they are done.
Serve immediately, enjoy!
These potato wedges are great as leftovers, you can heat them back in the oven on broil setting for maximum crispiness!
You can omit the cayenne pepper if you want less heat.
If you have my Homemade Mexican Spice Blend on hand, you can just use 2 TBPS of this plus 1/4 tsp cornstarch. Recipe found here: Homemade Mexican Spice Blend
- Category: side dish
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: any
Keywords: sweet potato wedges