This quick and easy Black Eyed Pea Soup has just enough spice to heat you up during these cold months! Being vegan, this dish is healthy and it has the spicy, smoky taste that will keep you coming back for more. Serve this with some toasted bread and you have yourself a hearty and cozy meal!
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 4 cups of collard greens, tough stems removed and roughly chopped
- 2 – 15 oz cans of black eyed peas, rinsed and drained
- 1 – 15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 3 cups water
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp liquid smoke, optional
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pot over medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once heated, add the onion, carrots, garlic, bell pepper and jalapeno and saute for 6 minutes or until carrots are starting to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients and give it a stir. Let simmer on low for 20 minutes. Soup should be done when all greens are wilted and vegetables are soft.
- Serve warm and enjoy!!
For the collard greens you can substitute with kale, mustard greens or rainbow chard. If you cannot find any of these in your area, you can use frozen spinach.
You can remove the seeds from the jalapeno if you are sensitive to spice.
This soup can keep in fridge for 5 days or 3 months in freezer.
Be sure to PIN this recipe for future reference!!! Hope you enjoy!
- Category: Dinner
- Method: Easy
- Cuisine: Vegan
Keywords: spicy black eyed pea soup