These insanely delicious Chili Lime Jackfruit Tacos are a hit! Wow, you would never believe these are vegan, their texture is similar to pulled pork! Get out the chips and salsa and let’s make some tacos!
For the Seasoning Rub
2 – 20 oz cans young jackfruit in water or brine
4 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon paprika (regular or smoked)
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
For the Simmering Sauce
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 large shallot, or 2 small
3/4 cup water
1/4 cup orange juice
juice of 1 lime
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon oregano
2 bay leaves
1 chipotle chile, minced
salt and pepper to taste
For the Tacos
8 corn tortillas
toppings of your choice *see notes
- Start by rinsing and draining the jackfruit. In a large bowl mix the jackfruit with the seasoning rub and garlic. While you are mixing the jackfruit, use your hands to shred the jackfruit until it has a pulled pork consistency. Don’t worry this doesn’t need to be perfect, you can shred further during the simmering process.
- Heat oil in large pan over medium heat. Add shallots and saute until soft, about 2-3 minutes. Add the jackfruit and let cook together for about 4-5 minutes, it’s okay if the jackfruit starts sticking to the pan.
- Add the water and stir making sure you get any yummy pieces that may be sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the Simmering Sauce. Mix well together. Let simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally and break down the jackfruit more if necessary. At the 20 minute mark, drain if there is an excess of liquid. You want all the liquid cooked down. Taste and add more salt or pepper if needed.
- Serve on heated corn tortillas with toppings of your choice!
- I like to heat my corn tortillas over medium-high heat. I wrap them in foil to keep warm.
- Topping options! pickled red onion (as pictured), jalepeno, avacado or quacamole, vegan shredded cheese, sliced radishes, cabbage slaw, cilantro, lime…however you like to enjoy your tacos!
- If you are lucky enough to have any of the jackfruit mixture leftover, you can heat it up and serve over rice, sweet potatoes, tortilla chips, or as a salad salad topping.
- The nutrition content is based on two tacos including only the jackfruit filling and tortilla. I did not add any topping options.
- Remember to Pin this recipe and share your comments!
- Category: main course
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: mexican
Keywords: Chili Lime Jackfruit Tacos