These juicy portobello steaks are one of my favorite quick and easy dishes. These can be cooked on a skillet indoors or on a grill outdoor. Such a great plant based alternative wether you are vegan or just looking for a meatless Monday recipe!
4 large portobello mushrooms
3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
3 TBSP vegan worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp onion powder
salt and pepper to taste
- Remove stems and clean the mushrooms, set aside. Add all the remaining ingredients to a small bowl and mix.
- Using a large zip lock bag, place the mushrooms inside and pour the marinade in. (you can use a shallow dish instead). Turn the mushrooms/bag so the marinade gets evenly coated. Let marinaded mushrooms sit for a minimum of 5 minutes and up to 12 hours in fridge.
- Get a large skillet over high heat, spray with a non-stick cooking spray. Grill mushrooms for 4 minutes on each side. This is the same if you are using a BBQ, place directly on hot greased grill for 4 minutes each side.
- When the mushrooms are heated through and have some beautiful grill marks, remove and serve!
- If you are going to slice them, let them cool 2 – 3 minutes, the inside will be very hot.
I used large portobello mushrooms for this recipe, you could use baby bellas if that is all you can find. Just leave whole and cook for 4 minutes, stir and cook for another 4 minutes.
These will keep in the fridge for 3 to 4 days. I do not recommend freezing them.
Nutritional content is for 1 large portobello.
Please remember to PIN this recipe for future reference!
- Category: dinner
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: vegan
Keywords: portobello, vegan, plant based, vegan steaks, mushroom