These quinoa protein bowls are so quick, easy and bursting with flavor, you will want to put this at the top of your recipe arsenal! Ready in just 30 minutes and they are also versatile, you can change up the ingredients to suit your cravings.
I love to make these for my lunch meal prep because the ingredients hold up so well. I can even eat this straight from the fridge. Not to mention they are so easy and economical! This recipe can also be customized to whatever you have in your pantry. Let’s explore some of the options.
Customizing the quinoa protein bowls.
This recipe is very versatile. As long as you follow the quinoa/rice to liquid ratio, you can swap the veggies or protein with whatever your imagination dreams up!
- Quinoa is such a protein packed superfood, I love to make it as much as possible. Rice can absolutely be swapped out instead.
- Tempeh is a protein powerhouse! But if you are unable to find this or maybe you have some tofu you’d like to use up, you can replace the tempeh with tofu. Other great options could be mushrooms, eggplant, TVP, or a store bought vegan meat replacement.
- Peppers onions and garlic are always in my pantry. However, if you have some other veggies you prefer, feel free to swap them up. I’ve used kale and spinach before and it came together really well.
- The Mexican seasoning blend is a staple in my pantry, you can find the recipe here https://www.plantbasedlife123.com/homemade-mexican-spice-blend/. You can add any variation of spices you’d like.
- Black beans and corn are what gives this dish the Mexican vibes. I highly suggest using them. However, you can substitute any kind of beans you’d like.
- Toppings are the fun part! Here’s where you can get really creative. Some good ideas would be: salsa, avocado, vegan cheese, cilantro, jalapeno, corn chips, options are endless!!!
These quinoa protein bowls are so quick, easy and bursting with flavor, you will want to put this at the top of your recipe arsenal! They are also versatile, you can change up the ingredients to suit your cravings.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 small onion-red or white, diced
- 5 mini sweet peppers (or 1 bell bepper) diced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 cups water
- 1 –15 oz can fire roasted tomatoes, diced
- 2 TBSP Mexican seasoning –store bought or homemade Homemade Mexican Spice Blend
- 1 –15 oz can corn
- 1 –15 oz can black beans
- 1 –8 oz package of tempeh (or tofu)
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat, add onions and sautee for 4 minutes. Add peppers and garlic and sautee for another minute.
- Add quinoa, water, fire roasted tomatoes and Mexican blend and cook for 20 minutes on a high simmer, uncovered.
- After 20 minutes, check quinoa is done. Add beans, corn and tempeh and let heat through for an additional 5 minutes.
- Taste, add toppings and serve hot!
This will keep in fridge for 6 days. Will keep in freezer for 3 months.
This recipe is great for meal prep.
Please remember to Pin for future reference
- Category: dinner, lunch, prep
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: vegan, plant based
Keywords: quick and easy quinoa tempeh protein bowls