A hearty low-carb vegan spaghetti squash burrito bowl?! Fully loaded with all your favorite Mexican flavors that you can customize they way you like! This is so warm and comforting, you’ll want to keep this in your recipe rotation.
This recipe is such a nice break from standing over the stove, it’s easy, healthy and of course absolutely delicious. I made this to feed a family of four very hungry stomaches and a little for the next day as well. You can definitely make this ahead of time and heat it up in the overn for dinner..Ilove any meal where that’s an option!
Customizing the spaghetti squash burrito bowl
- Spaghetti squash-this is hard to substitute because you can’t get the texture from any other variations. However, if you would like to use a different squash, you could probably bake it a similar way and mis it all up at the end.
- Beans-you can use ANY kind of beans for this because beans are beans! Seriously. I used kidney beans because that’s my family’s favorite, but black, pinto, white or even garbanzo beans would be great as well.
- Bell Pepper-normally I would opt for green bell pepper because they are the cheapest and I use them up so quickly around here! At the store, they had these beautiful mixed red/orange pepper and I decided to use them. I am never picky about this and would suggest using whatever you normally would use.
- Corn-again, this recipe is so versatile, any corn would do. Next time I would use a frozen fire roasted kind because that’s the best! I used frozen sweet corn kernels.
- Onion-this is also something to your preference. I used a yellow onion for this recipe.
- Seasoning and Salsa-Chili powder and cumin is all I used in this time but my Mexican seasoning blend would be fantastic for this. I would stick with salsa verde for this recipe as it gives the perfect touch for this meal.
- Toppings-Hello!!! This is the BEST part of dinner. Top this with your favorite vegan cheese, sour
- cream, chips, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro, salsa and really whatever your heart desires.
These spaghetti squash burrito bowls are so cute you don’t want to eat them. they are the easiest meal to make while also looking fancy and creative. You can customize it to your picky eaters and keep it a secret how healthy these are.Print
These spaghetti squash burrito bowls are so cute you don’t want to eat them. they are the easiest meal to make while also looking fancy and creative.
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 spaghetti squash, halved and seeds taken out
- 2 red or green bell pepper, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 2 cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 package frozen sweet frozen corn
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 2/3 Cup salsa Verde
- 1 TBSP olive oil
- Pre heat oven to 400F and prepare a large baking pan with parchment paper. Cut each squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the middle seeds with a fork or spoon. Brush the squash with olive oil and add salt and pepper to your taste. Bake for 35min.
- In a large skillet, add onion and cook on med/high for 3min. Add your minced garlic and cook for another 2-3min. Add diced bell pepper and cook on high for about 5min or until cooked down (some people like them extra crunchy still).
- Add kidney beans and salsa to warm up and turn skillet on low. If you are making this ahead of dinner time, turn the heat off and set aside.
- Once the squash is done, you will have to let them cool a bit before touching (they hold a lot of water so they get HOT!) Once cooled to handle, scrap the squash with a fork into a large bowl and set the skin back onto the baking sheet. Do this for all 4 squash. I purposely didn’t scrape mine out too much to ensure the skin help up well while serving (you can get more out while you eat it).
- Add the squash noodles to your filling and stir well. When you are ready to eat, fill each squash skin with the filling and bake for 10-15 min on 400F. If you want melted cheese you add this before putting the squash back into the oven.
See blog for customize options
Leftovers keep in fridge for up to 5 days, I never have leftovers!
Nutrition information is based on 1/2 squash
- Category: dinner
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: Mexican
Keywords: spaghetti squash burrito bowls