This homestyle vegan breakfast is bursting with flavor. Packed with crispy potatoes, peppers, mushroom steak and protein rich tofu eggs, you will want to add this to your recipe arsenal. Did somebody say ‘Breakfast for Dinner’!? Yes please!!!
For the Portobello Steaks
4 large portobello mushrooms
3 TBSP balsamic vinegar
3 TBSP vegan worcestershire sauce
2 TBSP olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp onion powder
For the Breakfast Potatoes
2 lbs baby red potatoes, this was about 7 potatoes for me
1 green bell pepper
1 white or yellow onion
1 1/2 TBSP olive oil
1/2 tsp salt, or to taste
1/2 tsp pepper, or to taste
1/2 tsp garlic powder, optional
For the Tofu Eggs
1 block of firm or extra firm tofu
1 TBSP nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp turmeric
2 TBSP plant based milk
oil spray to coat the skillet well
pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 425 F.
- Prep the mushrooms: remove stems and gently remove some of the gills. This does not have to be perfect, just a quick scrape with a spoon.
- Toss together all the marinade ingredients. Add the mushrooms to the mixture in a ziplock bag or in a shallow dish. Set this in the fridge.
- Cut the potatoes into one inch chunks and dice the peppers and onions. Toss together in a bowl with the olive oil and salt and pepper. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and pop into the oven for 30 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Next, pre-measure the dry seasonings for the tofu eggs and set aside.
- Once you have flipped the potatoes at the halfway point, let’t get the mushroom and eggs cooked.
- Take the mushrooms out of the marinade. Heat a well oiled skillet over medium high heat. Cook the mushrooms for 4 minutes each side. Remove the pan from heat.
- For the tofu, drain the tofu, there is not need to squeeze these dry, the heat from the skillet will cook off any excess water. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into a well oiled skillet over medium heat. Cook for 2 minutes, then add the dry seasoning, mix to combine break down the tofu if needed. Add the plant based mile and continue to cook for another 2 minutes or until all liquid has cooked off and remove pan from heat.
- Lastly, the potatoes should be done, if you need them a little crispier, turn the oven to a high broil and broil for up to 5 minutes watching carefully.
- Plate, serve and enjoy!
This recipe call for turmeric for the tofu eggs. If you do not have any turmeric and don’t want to buy an entire bottle for 1/4 teaspoon, you can simply omit. The tofu eggs will not have the golden egg color, they will remain white.
Feel free so spice the seasonings up with some cayenne pepper or chili powder. This can be added to any of the above recipes.
Please remember to PIN this recipe for future reference!
- Category: breakfast
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: vegan
Keywords: vegan breakfast, mushroom steaks, tofu eggs, vegan comfort food