I’ve never met anyone who doesn’t love pita pizzas!! And why not? There are so many variations of crust, sauce and toppings, there is something for even the most picky of eaters. This vegan pita pizza is a great example of how you can have a pita pizza ready in minutes.
Let’s Customize Our Pita Pizza!
As I mentioned above, there are so many variations of pizza toppings, let’s take a look at a couple.
- I am using pita bread, there are a wide variety of pita options. There’s whole wheat, gluten free, vegan, low carb, you could even use a flatbread or naan.
- In this example I use marinara sauce, other options you could use are: Alfredo sauce, pesto sauce, hummus or even plain tomato sauce.
- For the cheese! Personally, I like to just use nutritional yeast in place of cheese, but that’s just me! My husband loves his pita pizza’s with a vegan mozzarella cheese, my favorite is Follow Your Heart Mozzarella. If you are following a vegan diet, please make sure to check the ingredients. Some cheese say they are ‘almond based’ or ‘lactose free’, this does not mean they do not have milk protein in the ingredients.
- Now come the toppings!! Here is where you can get creative! The pizza in the front picture is topped with vegan pepperoni, mushroom and olives. The other pizza shown is topped with sun dried tomatoes, spinach and shallots. Your variations can be endless, here are a few to get your creative masterpiece started:
- red onion, bell pepper, fresh tomato, artichoke hearts, basil, jalapeño, garlic, pineapple, banana peppers, eggplant, and that list can go on…you get the hint…
Not to mention these vegan pita pizza’s take no time to put together. There really is no prep work required, however, I like to cut up any toppings before I start. I chose to toast the pita’s quickly in the oven before adding the toppings, this is just so they do not get soggy in the center. You can totally skip this step if you are short on time, these pita’s will still be delicious!Print
What’s better than a vegan pita pizza? Individual healthy pita pizzas! You can customize these little guys to make everybody in the family happy! The options are endless! The instructions below are for the pepperoni, olive and mushroom pizza, you can change this up to your hearts desire.
- 4 pita bread slices
- olive oil spray
- 2 TBSP garlic powder
- 1 cup of your favorite marinara sauce
- 4 ounces shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 package of vegan pepperoni
- 6 ounce can sliced black olives
- 1/2 package (4 ounces) mushrooms-sliced
Pre-heat oven to 375 degrees F.
Lightly spray the pita with the olive oil and sprinkle with garlic powder. Place pita on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
Bake pitas in the oven on center rack for 3-5 minutes. While you are waiting on that, prepare your toppings, if they need to be sliced or diced, now is the time to do this.
Carefully take out the heated pita and top with the sauce, cheese and then the pepperoni, mushrooms and olives. Put back into the oven for 8-10 minutes.
Let cool slightly, dive in while it’s hot!
I like to sprinkle the pita with my homemade vegan parmesan cheese, found here: Vegan Parmesan Cheese
If you like sun dried tomatoes as much as I do…use the sun dried tomatoes dry packaged as opposed to packed in oil, it just keeps the pita pizzas from getting to soggy. But if that’s all you can find, they still taste awesome.
Again, I love how customizable these are. If you have little ones in the house, omit anything spicy and load up on their favorite toppings. Have a spice hound in your family, add some dried pepper flakes and load up on the jalapeños!
- Category: snack
- Method: easy
- Cuisine: all
Keywords: easy, vegan, pita, quick